Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Chocolate Layered Pecan Caramel Kit-Kat Cake

Looking through photos on my phone, I realized, I never showed you this.

I made this for my dad's birthday last year, in October.
At HEB, they were having, buy 5 get 5 free candy bars.
Another reason HEB is the best!
My dad has mentioned Kit-Kat cakes many time, so I bought some.  Okay, I bought a lot.  I wasn't sure how big to make the cake, how much it takes to go all the way around, so I bought $30 worth, remember, it was buy 5, get 5, so I only paid $15 for them.  We had a lot of Kit-Kats.  I actually put them in the freezer, since it was still months away from my dad's birthday.  They held up just fine!

Supplies to Make Pecan Caramel Dip Kit-Kat Cake!
  • 1-chocolate cake mix, or favorite recipe
  • 1-can of chocolate icing, or favorite recipe
  • caramel syrup
  • 1-bag pecans
  • 8-Kit-Kat bars
  • 1 to 4- 5" baking pans
  • cooling rack
  • long knife
  • spatula (for icing)
  • friends and family to share with *optional



Put your Kit-Kats in the refrigerator.
Bake the chocolate cakes and let them cool.  Be sure to let them cool!  If they are hot, they will not do so well with the caramel syrup.
I had two of this size, so I was able to do it in two turns.

Use the long knife to flattened the tops, then stacked them and measure.  I made sure that it was a little shorter than the Kit-Kats to leave space for the top filling.  I unstacked them, after measuring, and restacked, putting caramel syrup between each layer.
(I know, it's crooked, but that never changes the taste.)

Ice it with chocolate all over.
(At this point I'm thinking, I'm pretty sure Daddy likes chocolate.)

  It takes seven full pieces and one shorter piece.  Use your long knife to break off just one Kit-Kat bar.  If you separate all your bars, it takes 31 pieces.  Sticking on the Kit-Kats can be tricky.  If the cake, icing, or candy is warm, they will just slide off each other.  That's why I said to put the Kit-Kats in the refrigerator when you started baking.
(Since my Kit-Kats were frozen, they broke when I tried to take them apart.  I just kept them together.)

Top with pecans.

Drip caramel syrup all over the pecans and let it spill over the sides of the Kit-Kats.
Bring in the family and friends, serve and enjoy!

It was a major hit for my dad's birthday!  My dad loved it! 
(If you're wondering why he isn't smiling, he's just used to being serious for pictures.  His parents were from Mexico, and they taught him to be serious for pictures.)

 My mom was going in for a hug.  You can see the cake layers.

It took well in the fridge later.  Though the caramel syrup does harden in the cake, it was like having chocolate covered caramels when eating the left overs.

I hope y'all enjoyed this tutorial, 
and I hope y'all make it some time because it is so good!
Share, and I hope to hear from y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment