Friday, May 13, 2016

Color Run!

What is a Color Run?
It's a short run, usually 5K, and along the way, people throw colored powder at you.  Most of the time, the color won't dye you, but it's very messy.  Most of the time, there is no time limit, it's not a race, and kids are welcomed.  It's the best race for a beginner.  Like me.

Back in April, I was signed up for a Color Run to support our local high school.  I was so excited!  Then I found out that it was at the same day as Evelyn's first soccer game of the season.  I thought I'd be able to half of the run, thinking it started an hour early.  The flyer I read was wrong, it was at the same time as Evelyn's game.  So I didn't get to run it, but I did prepare and show up that morning, only to receive disappointment, but still felt good that I was willing to do this run, my first run, even though I was sick.  I had the head lady douse me in color to remind me that I like to be athletic still.
I have never been a runner.  I did softball for fourteen years, partially because it didn't involve much running.  I played catcher for most of those years, and I was a good hitter, so I didn't need to be fast to make it to home much of the time.


Physical Preparation for the Color Run

What's great about a color run, is you don't need to be a runner.  I didn't do much running/jogging prep since I had been sick.  I tried to do jumping jacks one day, while still sick, and started to hyperventilate.  When I was a child, I had exercise induced asthma, and this was different.  All sickness, it just wouldn't let me breath.  I'd say, if you can speed walk five miles, you'll be just fine to do a color run.  If you can't do that yet, just work up to that over a month's time, and even if you don't get there, it doesn't matter for a Color Run.  Take your time and just have fun!


Things You Want During the Color Run

Things You Want for After the Color Run
  • fitted sheet(s)-Cover your seat(s).  Twin for single seats, queen for a bench
  • baby wipes-Set these in an easy to reach place for easy cleaning
  • plastic bag-For all the dirty wipes
  • vinegar-This is to spray down your clothes after to keep the color in them, to keep as a souvenir.
I haven't tested the vinegar process, but I'm doing this.  You basically douse your clothes in vinegar (do it outside), let it dry, repeat a few more times, wash on cold without detergent.  You can repeat the vinegar process once shirt is dried.  Wash again without detergent, let dry, then wash with detergent.  This is the process I've read about, and plan to use myself.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope y'all look for runs in y'all's area.
Try your best to be physically active to make your body and spirit strong.  I've been exercising again, and I am feeling better and happier every day.

Share with y'all's friends, and I hope to hear from y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment