Saturday, October 15, 2016

Girl Scouts Leader Binder


A couple weeks ago, Evelyn and I attended a Girl Scouts recruitment meeting.  They told us all the troops were full and anyone that would join that day would need new troop leaders.  Tom and I had talked about the possibility of me becoming a troop leader, but we never solidified our decision.  Not a single person raised their hand and people were avoiding eye contact.  I raised my hand, still a little iffy, but she accepted me quickly.
The representative said I would need helpers and two women from the front immediately raised their hands; and so it begun.

The first thing I did when I got home, was create a new board in my Pinterest account, the second thing was start my leader binder.
I took out some health sheets from a half inch binder and started filling it up with Girl Scout things.  I started planning, then once I had the money, I bought three 1.5 inch binders, two packages of reenforced notebook paper, plastic sheet protectors, and three pencil pouches.  I also bought 15 folders with brads and pockets for the parent folders.

I made a simple front with our troop number, name, and a watermark of the daisy petals the girls earn.

Opened up, the pencil pouch housed two pens and three gold arrow paper clips.  As you can see, the front pouch has changed.

I had a second pouch that house different notes and such and now have the pens for parents.

The first thing I had printed up was the program guide for our Girl Scout Council.  This is the start of my binders.

I inserted a few things from the recruitment night into the Program Guide.

I went through all the events, highlighted the events Daisy could attend, and struck out all events they couldn't or already passed.

Next, was the sign in list from the recruitment meeting with the girls that would be in my troop.  (Update: I made a new roster, we just got one more girl, and I made it vertical; it makes it much easier to read and use.)

A large print of the layout of the Daisy tunic and vest, and beside it a page I made of the patches and pins the troop fees would pay for.  (Update: I put in a different print out of this left page, that now has our Council ID.)

I couldn't find a simple list of the petals, name, and color, so I made my own.

Printed version of the brainstormed activities separated into their respective petal categories.

Holding onto the Daisy membership pins for the Investiture.
(Update: This is no longer in in my binder.  We had an amazing Investiture!)

Notebook paper, with reenforced holes.
Membership forms for both adults and girls.

A copy of the about me page; "I'm a Daisy Girl Scout!"

Copy of Volunteer sign up.
(Update: 'Application for Day Trip/Tours' has been added to my forms category.  I actually fill those forms out on the computer and email them immediately; I keep this, and soon others like it, to keep on hand as a reference and incase of urgencies.)

Plastic sheet protectors in the very back for future print outs and such.

UPDATE:
Since I posted this, I have changed a few things in my binder as our Troop has developed.
I separated my binder in to categories: Roll, Petals, Activities, & Future Ideas, Most Recent Activity Coming Up, Completed Activities, Notes, and Forms.

As I was shopping for science project stuff at The Dollar Tree and saw these vertical dividers.
I really did need these.  I had added dividers, but since I had plastic page protectors, they were mostly blocked.  These vertical dividers helped me find what I need quickly.  I still have my regular dividers also.

'Completed Activities' are the notes and plannings of each activity we've already done.  This category will periodically be emptied and put into a separate folder so my binder isn't over packed with old news.  You may ask, "Why keep them?"  I am new to the council and we are getting many new troops this year.  I've been chatting with other leaders about what we do and how we do it; keeping our notes can help me help another person.  Another reason, we plan to make photo books to the girls at the end of the membership year, and our memories are not the best, notes help us remember what happened.

I got a new pouch, on sale at Walmart for just $1, and it has two pouches.  The slightly bigger, lower zipped pocket now houses paper clips, binder clips, and small sticky notes.  Those white tabs are extra labels for my vertical dividers.

We just had our first Cookie Training!  I have my notes right up front in my left binder pocket.
Cookie selling starts on January 14th!



Having a binder is a must as a troop leader, as any leader, and I hope this helped you start yours.

What do you have in your leader binder?


Update: I no longer have these files to share.  I give permission to copy/mimic my ideas from this Girl Scout Leader Binder in this post.

9 comments:

  1. This is excellent! This will be my first year as a Troop Leader and my daughter's first year (Daisy). Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent example - thanks for sharing! New troop leader here. Our troop is multi-level and we're still working out the duties, this should help us get organized and give a starting point for each GS level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this as well, may I have both the leader and parent binder pages emailed to me? Hoping you're on so I might receive them asap, but if not there's always next time. You are amazing!! Thank you!!! ksedler_81@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, could you send this to please. I am a first year daisy troop leader and this seems really helpful. rjamison1593@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting, I am taking on my daughter's Junior troop this year (2018/2019) and I am looking to make it go smoothly. I am trying not to over think things here and let the girls take charge. Your ideas are very helpful! MariaLillard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My co-leader and I wish we found this sooner because the binder I had made up became useless really quickly. I love this and am doing it to my binder now so that next year we are ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you email this to me please. This would help me out so much. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you email me these pages? tcaulkins09@gmail.com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!! So thankful I found you! Your post are most helpful!! Can you send me the pages for both the parents and leaders? Starting a new troop this year for my niece. Katalimoo@gmail.com

    Thanks so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete