Tuesday, November 15, 2016

How We Did Our Invesiture

It all started with searching on Pinterest.
I had not heard of a Girl Scout Investiture before I was reading blogs and posts about Girl Scout Daisies.  I hope this post helps you with any questions you've been having about what an investiture is, and how to have one.
 
First, we had to decided when to have it.
We made it our second "meeting" with the girls.  Our first meeting was an intro and we didn't require anyone to have their memberships.  Some parents were still unsure if they wanted to do Girl Scouts, and the first meeting was a preview of what the girls would do.  We ended up having all but one pay their membership fee at the parent meeting.  That one paid when dropped off at the intro meeting.
We allowed parents to stay if they wanted, to see how things would be done, but only one stayed.  We were fine with that.
 
We made these invites for the parents and gave them out at the intro meeting.
 
 
Next thing, from deciding when, was to decide how.
 
My leaders and I held a meeting together to decide how we would do the investiture.
I told them to come with ideas, and you can see mine below.
(The 'Daisy Poem,' is not the poem, but what would be said to the girls after reading it.)
 
We did my ideas I had, and also the few things my co-leaders brought in.
In the meeting, we decided whom what do what.  One of my co-leaders has a friend that started doing photography and she was able to do the photos for us for free.  It was great!
Over the next few days, I wrote a script for us.  I also wrote a script for the photographer, mapping out when there would be special moments we wanted photographed.
 
The script; I know it's a lot to read, but it should help you plan your own Investiture.  It did take up all the time we wanted it to.
We leaders also received membership pins, a surprise for us from one of our co-leaders.  I had planned to, but she had surprised us.  I was fine with that, I just wanted us to be separated and recognized in our positions.  It was fun, we pinned each other!

The cut out parts were when we had the girls' names.
How you call them: "Susan Q, as a Girl Scout Daisy, would you come forward?"
She walks up.
As you pin her: "Welcome Susie, here is your Daisy pin."
[Girl Scout hand shake]
You can find the "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy" song here with lyrics.
We played it for the girls over and over again at the end of our first meeting and the girls knew it by the Investiture.
 
I added motions:
point to self "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy"
waving hands "Take a look at me" 
point to self "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy"
cheek poking "Happy as can be"
march "We're having fun and sharing each and every day" 
point to self "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy"
clap "Hip!"
 clap "Hip!"
 throw up hands "Hurray!" 
point to self "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy"
waving hands "Take a look at me" 
point to self "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy"
cheek poking "Happy as can be"
march "I'm going on a journey with friends along the way" 
point to self "I'm a Girl Scout Daisy"
clap "Hip!"
 clap "Hip!"
 throw up hands "Hurray!" 
 We ended with a blessing of our refreshments.  You may ask, why we scripted our prayers, but doing so made sure we didn't get flustered by our nervousness.  We are a new group working together, and sometimes it can be greatly intimidating, standing in front of all the parents and family, watching you, questioning how you are doing things.  It's best to be ready for it all.
 
You can see here on this post, what our Investiture looked like.
 
Our layout of our Investiture
 
 
 
 I think I've learned a lot already, and I know I haven't come close to learn half. 
Girl Scouts has so much for us, and as leaders, we need to know all of it, parents expect us to.
That's why I am showing you all this.  It's scary to not be prepared and to have a mass of parents judge you for it, but it's alright.  You don't have to be perfect and know it all at once, even if the parents say you should.  Take your time and have fun, include your parents, and let the girls make their own way.
 
I am completely fine with you using any of my ideas, especially about Girl Scouts.
All I ask, is you come back here and tell me how it went for y'all.  Tell me what you used, what you didn't use, and what you changed.  I'm always open to new ideas; that's how we become better.
 
Thanks so much!
Excited to hear from y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Erica hello! Could I get a copy of your forms for the parents? I’ve been trying to contact your for a week or so. Thank you in advance. My email address is smaronfrey@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete