Friday, July 31, 2020

What's in My Backpack: University Edition

Welcome y'all!  Glad to see ya!

I am thirty-two and I am an undergrad student at our local university, Texas A&M University Kingsville.  I love school, I truly do!  August is my favorite time of the year, well probably second favorite, but I do absolutely love the start of school.
I've said before, August is my New Year.  It's when the school year is about to begin and when all my favorite things come out onto the shelves; school supplies, warm clothes, rich golden tones, pumpkin spice everything, and a million different new mugs to choose from!

I returned to university Spring 2019 and started a new major.  I have about two years left to go before graduating and I plan to continue on to a masters degree.  I think I have my backpack well stocked and I hope it helps you understand what you need for your courses.
  1. Rolling Backpack--I have asthma and I'm overweight, which now adds to my asthma.  My first semester back to university, I had a regular backpack, but in spring, when all the cut grass is flying and pollen just loves to get right in your face, you sometimes just need to breath better!  Taking the weight off my shoulders helped my asthma for sure.  This one is great, only wish it had a separate pocket for the laptop so there would also be a pocket for just my folders and books.
  2. Folders with Pockets--One for each course plus one extra.  This is where you will keep your printed syllabus, handed notes or worksheets, and returned work for each one of your courses.  The extra folder is for general university information.  This is where you should keep a printed copy of your schedule, a few Blue Books, a few scantrons, a copy of your degree plan(s), and a small map of your school.  I also have a sheet of collegiate stickers in my extra folder.  If you attend orientation (which most universities require this) then you may receive a folder from your university with their name on it.  Use that one as your extra; it will be extra special that way.
  3. Notebooks or Composition Books--One for each course.  I usually use Fivestar single subject spiral notebooks, but I only use about half of the pages, so this semester I decided to purchase composition books.  Still using Mead, because no joking they are always quality, and I chose bright fun colors.  Even if you take notes on your computer, you should still have a notebook or composition book to use.
  4. Pens--I was first turned on to these pens by another Girl Scout leader.  She gave us these pens as a gift and I loved them!  In turn, I ended up buy all of us nice pencil cases for the pens.  When university came around again, I knew they were the pens I'd want to use.  I lent out two of these pens to two different people in two different classes, and both of them asked if they could keep it.  I let them, which is why I buy them on sale and as many as possible.
  5. Pencils--Ticonderoga all the way!  I have a straw dispenser at home and I am slowly filling it to the brim with Ticonderoga pencils.  Oh so wonderful!  Our university has old pencil sharpeners on the walls still, in almost every building, so I don't worry about staying sharp.  I have most of my classes where everyone's degree involves a lot of writing, so the sharpeners have stayed.
  6. Highlighters--I use these for my notes.  I also use them on index cards when I create flash cards.  Use each color for different things, such as: keyword, term, don't forget, and person of importance.  I change it with each class.
  7. Permanent Markers--I always have permanent markers on hand.  Even in my purse.  It's a critical tool for life.
  8. Fold Away Scissors--I have had a couple of versions of scissors, one of which looks like a marker.  I love those the best.
  9. Pencil Case--How else will you hold everything together?  I prefer these styles because I find they take up the least amount of space and protect my implements the best.
  10. Laptop--This is the one I am currently using.  I found it on sale, but I will be replacing it this soon, with a Macbook.  Find a laptop that suits your needs and major.  I am a communication journalism major with a minor in writing and I will be going on to get a masters degree involving film and screenwriting.  I want a Macbook because I find it very user friendly for such things and it will last me for years to come, even into my career.  If you can, find one not too heavy also.
  11. Document Organizer--I use this as my laptop holder.  My backpack doesn't have a special padded spot for a laptop, so I use this.  I also like that it has a handle, so when I want to just take my computer some place, it's easy.
  12. Wireless Mouse--I prefer having a mouse, especially when editing film or scrolling through articles, it just makes things quicker and easier.  In college, anything that makes assignments go easier and quicker is what you want.
  13. USB Flash Drives--Notice that is plural.  I have three flash drives; one for school, one for photos from my phone, and the third for short films I make.  This makes it easier to separate school and home info also.
  14. Tassel USB Charging Cord--The one I have I bought on sale from Walmart.  This is great to have because sometimes you just need to connect your phone to your laptop, or a computer at school, and this makes it quick and easy since it dangle right off your backpack.
  15. Lightning/Micro USB/USB-C Multi USB Charger--The one I have is actually one I received at my university's College Night, where the Art and Science Department had each college set up tables to share what each of them do.  My department, the Art, Communication, and Theater (ACT) department was giving them out.  This is great to have on hand.  You will be doing group projects all the time and you need to be ready for anyone in your group to not be quite as ready as you.  If you have this, you will be able to adapt to anyone's phone whom might be in your group.  Before I had this, we met at a group members apartment and one of us was supposed to supply the audio for our short film, but his computer only had USB-C so we couldn't pull it off his computer.  We ended up having our editor do the background music herself.  This just helps so much.
  16. Phone--Self evident I think.  Popsocket--I've used the twisting pop holders, but they do not last the way Popsockets do. (The one pictured)
  17. Phone Charger--When you're sitting in class you can charge your phone, or use the cord for connecting to your computer.  You know you'll need it.
  18. Power Bank--Because you're not always going to be staying one place.  With my courses, I sometimes have to on "location" to get an interview or shoot a scene or even scout out those locations and a power bank is what I need when I've been using my phone to record the interview or shoot the scene.
  19. Microfiber Screen Cleaning Cloth--I bought both these guys from the Dollar Tree.  I love the Dollar Tree, and why not have cuteness where you can have it.  I use these for my sunglasses, phone, laptop...lots of different screens and lenses.
  20. Collegiate lanyard--You should have some collegiate spirit in your everyday things.  I have so many TAMUK shirts for two reasons, promotionals and Walmart, but I'd rather not wear a t-shirt everyday, so my TAMUK lanyard covers my everyday collegiate spirit.  I got mine from the university bookstore for only $2.19, including the tax.  Mine is a blue knit style and just says "Javelinas."  Hygiene Bag--I got this bag for free, so this is what I use.  I put all my electronics, flash drives, and student ID in here.
  21. Headphones--I just got these.  Call it a birthday gift, but I've been wanting to get noise cancelling headphones for a long time, but I forgot how sensitive I am to certain sounds since my last pregnancy, so I need a little more time to get used to them.  Even so, I think the sound is amazing!
  22. Thermal Food Jar--This is the easiest thermal container to use, but I also have a bigger one with a divider.  Sometimes I use the bigger one, put it in a lunch bag and hook it onto the trolley bar of my backpack.
  23. Thermal Water Bottle--I have about five of these in both straw and chug form.  I have others too; TAL and Hydroflask, in different sizes.  I got rid of all my thermals in the typical water bottle shape.  I found they didn't keep my drink cold for as long as the others do.  I might get a Tervis water bottle this year.  I like that they are dishwasher safe.  (I've been trying to make all our dishes dishwasher safe.)
  24. Umbrella--This is important no matter how often it rains where you attend school.  This can shield the sun too, and could help for shoots.
  25. Stapler--I learned quickly that you need to carry your own stapler with you.  I've had a class where we were put into groups and we took turns decorating a bulletin board with a subject we learned in class.  I've printed up several essays at school and needed to staple the pages together.  Trust me, it's better to have one with you than end up having to beg a secretary or a really mean professor who is very stingy with their stapler.
  26. First Aid and Meds--You can put something together yourself easily.  A few bandages, small tube of antiseptic, and antibiotic cream is all you need for quick fixes.  I carry an inhaler with me at all times, and when I've especially been having problems, I carry an epinephrine pen, also.  I also keep pain killers and cough drops.  I buy the menthol cough drops because they can also help you wake up a little when studying.
  27. Lip Balm--A simple everyday need.  I like this Baby Lips by Maybelline.  It doesn't dry out my lips like some others do and this one specifically has some shimmer to it.
  28. Lotion--Might as well be ready.  Sometimes it's the classroom, sometimes it's the weather, either way, be ready.  I like to use the ultra shea instead of the other lotions from Bath and Body Works; it's richer and still smells great.
  29. Hand Sanitizer--Because even before COVID-19, there were germs everywhere at a universities
  30. Snacks--I always bring them from home; it's cheaper.  I keep mostly healthy snacks, but I'll also keep a candy bar or some minis to help boost energy quickly.
  31. Wallet--I pull this out of my purse every morning and stick it into my backpack.  One semester, I didn't actually have a purse, but just had a little coin and card wallet I would stick in my pocket when I went to the store because I always had my backpack with me.
  32. Face Mask--I bought this one just in time for classes.  I have several others to rotate, but when I saw this collegiate one, I had to have it!  Etsy is a great place to find one for your university if you can't find it on Amazon.
It seems like a lot, and alright, it is, but I have what I need to get on the Dean's List.  If you notice, I don't have any text books in my back pack.  Classes start in just short of a month and my freshman year of university, back in 2006, taught me to wait to buy my books for class.  I've had several professors give us PDF files or not even use the book.

I also have other school supplies which remain at home, but that will be another post, which once made, I will link here.

Good luck this year everyone.  We're all going to need it!
See y'all soon!
-Ms Curly Texan

*Tip: Don't buy your books until you have attend your class

*Tip: Don't buy your books from the university bookstore.  Go to Amazon or free websites for your books.

No comments:

Post a Comment