Sunday, November 18, 2012

Baby Doll Wipe Set Tutorial

When I was little, I had a Cabbage Patch Newborn that I have now passed onto my daughter.  It used to have little diapers but they are now hard to find.  So I made little "cloth diapers" out of white felt and small, round Velcro.  I didn't think about making a tutorial on that until now.  So that one will come later.
 
Evelyn loves to play Mommy.  She really, really does.  She tries to be sneaky and get some of her own wipes to "wipe baby's poo poo."  So, one day before heading to my parents, I decided to make her her own wipes.  Evelyn made a mess again by using too many wipes on her baby, so I said, "That's it!  I am making you your own!"  I thought this would be an easy tutorial and a good one so close to Christmas.
 
Supplies:

  • 1-white fat quaters (mine was left over from a wipes travel container I covered)
  • 1-8x11 felt sheet in your child's favorite color (you will see that I used material from a gutted pillow.  I know I had red felt but I couldn't find it, so I had so make do)
  • white thread
  • color cordinating thread to go with felt (try using opposites, if you use pink felt, use lime green thread for example)

First:
Cut white fabric into 4.5x4.5 inch squares. 
 
I made only six.  You don't want to be trying to find a dozen little baby doll wipes all over your house.  I thought six was a good number to make and remember.
 
Second:
Straight stitch all the way around to keep from fraying. 
(Not stitched)(Stitched)
 
You can make actual seams, I didn't because of time and with cloth wipes, you don't usually see that, they are usually Singered.
 
 
Next is the wipes holder!
 
Third:
Cut the felt to be 8x4 inches.  At about two inches from the short bottom, cut an oblong hole about 2.5 inches wide.
It's best to check and make sure you made the hole big enough.
 
 
Fourth:
Because you are working with felt, and that doesn't fray, you don't need to stich a seam around the hole. Yay!  If you are not using felt, but you are using a fabric that will fray (like I did), you will need to make a seam or you can use a short cut and just make a stitch all around the hole to keep from fray just like the wipes.

 
Fifth:
Fold over the felt, hamburger style, and stitch it closed. 
 (Remember, if your are using some thing other than felt (like me),
be sure to sew it closed with the inside out.) 
If you like that "inside out look," you are done with this step, it you don't like that look, then turn your wipes holder right side out.
 
 
Next is how to put in your wipes so that another will come out after pulling one out for use.
 
Sixth:
Fold all the wipes in half and press the folds.  Open them.  Take your first and lay it down flat, the next wipe will be place only half way on top of the first.  Fold the bottom wipe onto the top.
 
Get your third wipe, place that half way on top of the second, hanging off of the opposite side. 
 
 
Fold the second wipe on top of the third. 

Do that until you run out of wipes.
 
I hope that all made sense to you.  I was afraid of how that part would all come out.
 
Seventh:
Stuff your wipes into your wipes holder.
 Make sure to leave a little sticking out to make grabbing for little hands easier.
 
 
Tada!  You should now have a sweet little stocking stuffer, or a piece to your child's homemade Dolly Diaper Bag gift!
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment