Friday, February 21, 2014

A Conflicted Heart


As I have mentioned before, Evelyn really doean't like pink. Yesterday, Tom went outside to work on the a/c and Evelyn wanted to follow. I told her to get dressed pointing out red shorts. She put on her shorts and said, "Okay I'm ready!" I told her she couldn't go outside with out shoes and especially without having a shirt. She ran into her room and came back with a pink shirt. I asked her if she was sure and she happily said yes! So I put it on her.

Later that night, Evelyn screamed out to us from her room, "It's not working! My light!" Hubby went to check it out and both 30w bulbs had burned out. He took one of the four 100w bulbs from our bathroom (I know, but 30w was very low for the ceiling fan, it's just what was in from previous tenants) and he put it in her ceiling fan. It lite up the room so much!

"Wow!" Evelyn came running to me in the kitchen, "Mommy! You've gotta come see this! You've gotta come see this!" She pulled me to her room.

"Look at all the pink every where! There's pink everywhere!" she excitingly said.

"Evelyn, do you like pink?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I like pink. Pink is for Raven so I like pink!" My heart felt so heavy I almost cried. During the time we didn't know the gender, Evelyn said she wanted a boy or both, so it made me feel so good that she truely is happy about having a sister.

Later that night, after we had been asleep for several hours, Evelyn came into our room and crawled in between us. Sometimes we have trouble keeping her in her bed all night. We only have a queen and Evelyn smooshes up next to Tom causing back problems so even one night can be bad. We told her to go back to her bed.

Evelyn started crying, "No! There's too much pink! You need to paint my room blue! I don't like pink! I need my room blue!"

We gave her extra hugs and kisses and she went back to her bed.

A conflicted heart. I'm not sure why she fights liking pink so much. I did when I was younger. I remember the reason I did it was because I didn't like being ropped into being pink, lace and damsel in distress. I thought pink was being dainty and weak.

Pink often represents breast cancer awearness and strength. I think that is something I need to teach Evelyn. I tell her it is wonderful to be a girl because we can do so much because we are so strong but I need to teach her that being gentle and "pink" are also good things to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment