Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How We Chose Our Babies' Names and My Five Top Rules About It

My Five Top Rules of Choosing a Baby's Name


5. Use a baby name book and keep a pen and notepad with it.
This makes it easier to take notes, mark favorites and you can try different spellings and get a better "feel" for the name also.

4. Include your spouse all along the way. 
If you are not married, but are in a relationship, I would suggest this rule still.  Just because you are carrying the baby, experiencing everything first hand, doesn't mean you get the last word on everything baby. Save that for when you decide on bedding or the color of car seat you want. You don't want your baby to have a name that your spouse really doesn't like. Their own child having the name doesn't mean they will eventually like it.  I have seen it.

3. Find your name style.
You can find quizzes online that can help with this. Do you like traditional, names that have lasted through the ages like Thomas and Elizabeth? Do you like trendy names that are snappy now, like Merrick? Or maybe you want a name that no one else has, then you could combind names, like Kasherin. Find that and you narrow things down.

2. Don't let family and friends pressure you.
If you have family and friends that have different name styles, or are just very judgemental about everything, I suggest not talking to anyone about names until you are sure of yourselves. Getting the opinions of family and friends can sometimes help, only if they don't keep you from choosing what you and your spouse want.

1. Remember, you can change your mind right up until you leave the hospital.
Don't force yourself to keep a name you are unsure about. I know for myself, having a name ready by the time we find out about the gender helped me to bond and talk to my child, both times, but just because your baby doesn't have a name until they are born, doesn't mean you can't bond with them as if they did. Your love is what is most important not the name you call them. "Cutie" can be the perfect name for bonding.


I have always liked traditional names, the kind that are classic forever. I try to be that way with my wardrob and decorating style as well. Evelyn's name (Evelyn Rosa), I had it picked out since before I was in high school. Tom didn't have much of a choice about it. "Rosa" is after my aunt and then also my grandma. My aunt died when I was a year old, she was my dad's oldest sister (he has three) and my grandma died just before my senior year of high school. Tom actually knew my grandma before he knew me, being moved around a lot, he lived in the same town as them, attending church with them, for four years. At the time it was one of the places his family lived the longest. He liked having Evelyn's middle name as Rosa.

Since Evelyn's middle name is a flower, I thought it would be nice to have the tradition that all the girls' middle names will be related to nature; a flower, a tree, a season, like that. Tom's middle name is William, just like his brothers and his father and his grandfather. So middle names for boys was set also. Tom didn't want a junior so we agreed on keeping William as a middle name for all the boys as a tradition.

One day, as we were going home, Tom said (and I am paraphrasing this), "Since the girls' middle names are all going to be something nature, why don't we have the boys' first names be something to do with an animal?"

I liked it! I quickly Googled "boy names with animal meanings." I found a site with an alphabetical list of names with origins and meanings. I read through them, trying William out next to them, and we stopped at "Bram" meaning "raven" in Gealic. It sounded like a strong traditional name, and we really liked it. The raven represents Oden the All Father, his messenger. Tom's ancestry goes back to Erick the Red whom traces his "lienage" to Thor, who is son of Oden. This made "Bram" that much more special. (I don't want to get into religeous meaning, but "Bram" is also a shortening of "Abraham" whom is the Father of All Nations. Just something to think about)

For so long time, I struggled on a girl name, not really so long just a few months but in pregnancy time...it felt much longer.
So I suggested to Tom, 'Why not name the girl "Raven" so that we will have a "raven" either way.'  He liked that plan.
I liked having "Lily" as a middle name but I wasn't sure about it. Raven Lily. It didn't fit as well as I wanted it to. I talked with Tom about middle names and we came up with finding something in nature in Gealic.

"What about 'Lily?'" Tom asked. I hadn't told him that was the name I was thinking of, so when he asked about "Lily" I knew it would be right. "Lily" translated into Gaelic is "Lilias" or "Lileas." Raven Lileas. It was completed. It was right. I wanted the spelling to be "ea" like it is in "Gaelic" (but inverted). 


So that is how Raven got her name.

How did y'all find baby names?
What's the story behind them?
Hope to hear from y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment